Skip to main content
Observer Ethical awards Winners 2011

YouGen Blog

What happens to the feed-in tariff if I switch energy suppliers?

Posted by Cathy Debenham on 18 June 2013 at 2:56 pm

Q: I'd like to look for a different energy provider (my current one, nPower isn't paying its tax!). However, I don't want to lose my feed-in tariff (FIT) payments. Can I reapply for them with my new supplier and is it a complicated procedure? Or will my old supplier keep paying the FIT payments even if I'm not with them for power any more?

A: You can change energy supplier, and you can change FIT supplier and you don't necessarily have to use the same company for both. However, the big six, of which nPower is one, don't tend to like being your FIT supplier if you buy your electricity from another big six company.

The big six, along with Utility Warehouse, are what's know as mandatory feed-in tariff suppliers. As they have more than 50,000 domestic customers they must offer a service to their own customers, those of non-mandatory suppliers, and off-grid customers as feed-in tariff generators.

They can take on any other FIT generator who asks, if they wish to do so, but it is not obligatory. So if you move, say, to British Gas or EDF, the likelihood is that nPower will want you to move your FIT account too. If you move to one of the smaller companies like Ecotricity or Good Energy, then you should be able to leave the FIT supply where it is.

More information about energy companies and the feed-in tariff on YouGen 

How to choose your feed-in tariff supplier

How to switch your feed-in tariff provider

Specialist companies give the best feed-in tariff service 

Are the big energy companies obliged to take on new FIT generators?

The YouGen guide to the feed-in tariff

Photo Credit: the|G|™ via Compfight cc By

If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.

Like this blog? Keep up to date with our free monthly newsletter


0 comments - read them below or add one

No Comments.

Leave a comment

You must log in to make a comment. If you haven't already registered, please sign up as a company or an individual, then come back and have your say.