Skip to main content
Observer Ethical awards Winners 2011

YouGen Blog

Are new build houses eligible for the RHI?

Posted by Cathy Debenham on 10 March 2014 at 9:16 am

Q: We moved into our new home last April, a new build, can we claim for the RHI as we have an air source heat pump.

A: Well, it depends. If you are a self builder, then the answer is yes. You can claim the domestic renewable heat incentive (RHI). You will need an energy performance certificate (EPC) for the finished building, and the MCS certificate to apply. 

You don't have to have laid the bricks yourself to count as a self builder, but you do have to have commissioned the house to be built for your own use.

If you are the first person to move into a new house built by a commercial builder that has a heat pump, biomass boiler or solar thermal system you won't be eligible to claim the RHI. However, you will have the nice feeling that your carbon footprint is lower, and your energy bills should be too.

Photo: John C Bullas


If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.

Like this blog? Keep up to date with our free monthly newsletter


4 comments - read them below or add one

Cathy Debenham

Cathy DebenhamComment left on: 13 March 2014 at 3:37 pm

Hi Beemer

I'm afraid you have to get an RdSap EPC to claim. They need the EPC number as part of the application process and to prove it's a domestic dwelling.

report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 13 March 2014 at 2:58 pm

Hi Cathy, any feedback ref this query please.

report abuse

Cathy Debenham

Cathy DebenhamComment left on: 11 March 2014 at 5:26 pm

I don't think so, but I'll check. 

report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 10 March 2014 at 10:42 pm

Does a self build  property need an rdsap EPC if it already has an on construction sap EPC, produced for build regs sign off ?


report abuse

Leave a comment

You must log in to make a comment. If you haven't already registered, please sign up as a company or an individual, then come back and have your say.