Skip to main content
Observer Ethical awards Winners 2011

YouGen Blog

How do I apply for the green deal home improvement fund?

Posted by Tasha Kosviner on 11 June 2014 at 8:26 am

This week the government has launched the green deal home improvement fund (GDHIF). The fund is a stash of cash (£120m to be precise) to be given in grants –that’s free money, people! – to anyone who has made eligible energy saving improvements to their home.

To get the funding you must:

  1. Be improving a domestic property in England and Wales;
  2. Have had the proposed improvements recommended in an energy performance certificate or green deal advice report within the last two years;
  3. Ensure that the improvements are eligible for GDHIF (here is the list of measures that are eligible for the green deal home improvement fund);
  4. Use an authorised green deal installer or provider already registered with the GDHIF (find a list here; For the most results, leave all sections blank except your postcode and remember to check the box to see only companies who are registered with GDHIF. There are currently 112 registered across the country);
  5. Apply for the voucher BEFORE the work commences at;
  6. Have the installation made within six months of the date of the voucher being issued

Send the voucher, signed by the installer, to the GDHIF administrator by email: or by post to the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund PO Box 6900, Basingstoke, RG24 4SY

Along with the voucher, you should attach invoices for the work and your installer’s PAS2030 Claims of Conformity which they must give you once work is completed.

As for how long it will take for your payment to be made, so far the government says the scheme administrator will “aim to make payment promptly.” However it adds that payments will not start being processed until 11 July 2014.

More information

YouGen guide to the green deal home improvement fund


If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.

Like this blog? Keep up to date with our free monthly newsletter


6 comments - read them below or add one


LokeshComment left on: 24 July 2015 at 11:21 am

Hello all,

I applied for a GDHIF voucher in end-march and finally got the voucher in mid-July! One thing I noticed on the voucher is an HIF registration number which needs to be filled in by the suppliers.

I spoke to my cavity wall insulation supplier to ask if they have thier HIF registration number. They said they only had a GDPA number from the Government. On calling the GDHIF helpline they said that the GDPA number is just a provider/installer number and an HIF registration number is needed. 

But the providers seem completely unaware of a "HIF number". While the GDHIF helpline refuses to divulge any more details, suggesting me to ask the supplier to contact them! Obviously none of these entities are worried about this confusion as I am the one who will be out of money if the voucher isn't accepted.

Is there any advice for me on this?





report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 16 July 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Linn much appreciated.

report abuse

Linn Rafferty

Linn Rafferty from JTec Energy PerformanceComment left on: 16 July 2014 at 3:56 pm

hi Beemer

the restriction on recommending insulation for system built properties doesn't apply to the Green Deal assessment.  So, one way forward would be to get a Green Deal advice report, which should be able to recommend it if it's needed.

It won't always appear as a recommendation (for instance, it won't appear for newer system build homes).  For those who want to look it up, this is measure Q1 in Appendix V.


report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 12 July 2014 at 6:11 pm

Hi, could do with a definitive answer to this one please :

If a property is of system build format, then external or internal wall insulation are not recommended within the epc.

How can a client progress with their gdhif if it isn't recommended on the epc.

The addendum states that further investigation is required, but how would that transpose onto the epc, if it was found by an installer that ext wall insulation could be applied, as it is an automatic process, whereby ext/int wall insulation will not be recommended for system build properties and without it on the epc the client can't claim ?

report abuse

Tasha Kosviner

Tasha KosvinerComment left on: 23 June 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hi Beemer

Yes you can. 

They are two different schemes, offering support for different measures. As you know, the GDHIF is a home improvement fund and doesn't cover renewable heat systems. The RHI, or renewable heat incentive, makes payments for those who have installed renewable heating systems, so there is no conflict and no overlap.

Let us know how you get on!

Tasha - YouGen editor 

report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 19 June 2014 at 5:52 pm

Hi, and thanks for the info. I know you cannot claim the gdhif  if you have already claimed under  eco or the green deal cash back scheme, but, can you claim the gdhif for, say, solid wall insulation, if you have also claimed RHI for say a new biomass boiler etc?

so basically can you have some money from the gdhif and the RHI pot ?


report abuse

Leave a comment

You must log in to make a comment. If you haven't already registered, please sign up as a company or an individual, then come back and have your say.