Skip to main content
Observer Ethical awards Winners 2011

YouGen Blog

Should I get a green deal assessment before or after I install?

Posted by Tasha Kosviner on 7 August 2014 at 8:52 am

Q. I am looking to install a heat pump and I hope to apply for the renewable heat incentive. I know I need to have green deal assessment but should this be done before or after the heat pump is installed?

A. You are right that all renewable heat incentive (RHI) applicants (with the exception of self-builders) need to have a green deal advice report (GDAR) in order to apply.

The purpose of a GDAR in this instance, is simply so that you can prove your home has the necessary levels of loft and wall insulation to qualify for RHI. (You will generally need 250mm of loft insulation and cavity wall insulation where appropriate). The assessment will be a physical record that the minimum level of insulation has been reached and Ofgem will be reassured that your house is sufficiently energy efficient to qualify for RHI.

To this end, it doesn't matter whether the assessment is done before or after installation. The only exception would be if the structure of the house has changed since the report was done, for example if the installation is done at the same time as an extension, in which case a new report will be required that assesses both the old and new parts of the house as a single property.

More information

YouGen guide to renewable heat incentive

Green deal advice reports and RHI: a personal journey

Photo Credit: Tom Raftery via Compfight cc

If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.

Like this blog? Keep up to date with our free monthly newsletter


1 comments - read them below or add one


MikelComment left on: 13 August 2014 at 9:06 am

If you haven't had a recent EPC which gives the deemed space and domestic hot water heating requirement, then it is advisable to have a green deal assessment before you get a heat pump.

That way you will know the likely RHI payments and any other appropriate changes to the property.

report abuse

Leave a comment

You must log in to make a comment. If you haven't already registered, please sign up as a company or an individual, then come back and have your say.