Skip to main content
Observer Ethical awards Winners 2011

YouGen Blog

Readers' tips of the month

Posted by Tasha Kosviner on 30 September 2014 at 9:01 am

Here are some of the tips, observations and appeals for information that have come our newest members over the last month. Welcome to each of you - we hope you enjoy the site! 

If you want to join the hallowed ranks of YouGen members it's absolutely free and gives you access to comment on all of our blogs, plus an exclusive monthly newsletter. Click here to sign up. 

peter and jenny:  'Speak to a number of providers and challenge them on their plans and cost. We had one supplier who indicated we would get 40 roof tiles on our rear roof when the max we could achieve was 20! '

Tom Hedger: " I'm interested in how to go about combining my log burner/boiler with my gas combi condensing boiler. Also interested as to EXACTLY how condensing boilers work."

JohnBlue: " I spent £8k on a solar thermal system 3 years ago and now need to spend £1.5K to get it working again... quite suspicious!"

Katy M:  'Ask your energy supplier to check that your electricity meter will work with the panels. I am still sorting out my bills over 6 months down the line."


More information about Energy Saving and Renewable Energy on YouGen.

Find an installer

Need help with any Jargon?


If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.

Like this blog? Keep up to date with our free monthly newsletter


9 comments - read them below or add one

Gilly Jones

Gilly JonesComment left on: 21 October 2014 at 11:42 am

Hi Beemer

If you converted a non-domestic property into a domestic property then this is considered an eligible new build. For more info check out our blog: Is my home renovation classed as a self-build for claiming RHI?

Hope that helps.


report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 14 October 2014 at 4:36 pm

Hi Gilly, yes thanks I am aware that self builds only need an EPC.


My question is, what does a conversion from an agricultural build to a domestic build require ?- just an EPC or a full gdar ?


Some walls have been left as solid walls and others have had the original outer walls and a new cavity built inside, blus floor , loft insulation, gshp, dg etc.

report abuse

Gilly Jones

Gilly JonesComment left on: 14 October 2014 at 4:01 pm

Hi Beemer

Everyone except self-builders will have to have a green deal assessment to claim the domestic RHI.

You might our blog:Domestic renewable heat incentive: your questions answered a useful read.

YouGen Team




report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 13 October 2014 at 8:32 pm

Technical question please.

-new builds only need an EPC for RHI claim

-exisiting builds need full gdar for rhi

-conversions from older domestic property to an updated domestic property need a full gdar for rhi

What does a property that has been converted from a non dom, agricultural building need, which has been converted to a domestic dwelling- ie cavity walls added to the existing outer shell, insulation, d glazing etc  and a gshp .

An urgent response would be welcome- thanks.

report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 7 October 2014 at 6:54 pm

Ok that's good thanks- so it doesn't include heating a swimming pool, but does it include the area- ie space heating of where the swimming pool is situated, ie not the water, but the space heating ?

report abuse

Gilly Jones

Gilly JonesComment left on: 6 October 2014 at 11:23 am

Hi Beemer

I'm afraid the domestic RHI doesn't include heating off swimming pools and this need to be excluded from your calculations.

YouGen Team


report abuse


BeemerComment left on: 4 October 2014 at 11:51 am

Hi, quick question about swimming pools and RHI please :

If a domestic house also has a separated, but indoor swimming pool which utilises the renewable heating system to heat either the pool water and space heating or just the space heating, can it be included within the domestic RHI EPC ?


report abuse

Michael Anderson

Michael AndersonComment left on: 30 September 2014 at 6:41 pm

we have immersion hot water tank which is normally heated by gas  but had immersion for emergancy 

got solar wired in to trip in when running over 1500 and now we only switch hot water system on (gas) if its a dull day ...its been great and saved us loads 

normally get a tank of hot water a day if weather is just half decent

report abuse


flowComment left on: 30 September 2014 at 5:48 pm

Hello, we're thinking of changing our heating system (currently night storage heaters), we were thinking of getting gas central heating and wondering how this could work alongside solar pv.

report abuse

Leave a comment

You must log in to make a comment. If you haven't already registered, please sign up as a company or an individual, then come back and have your say.