Skip to main content
Observer Ethical awards Winners 2011

YouGen Blog

Do I need to have a green deal assessment to apply for dRHI?

Posted by Cathy Debenham on 23 January 2015 at 10:23 am

Q: I have an EPC and a flat panel solar water heater.  I need a Green Deal Assessment number to complete my RHI (renewable heat incentive) claim. How do I go about getting one?   

A: You will have to have a green deal assessment. This is based on the EPC, but goes into more detail. It may be that the person who did your EPC can also do the green deal, and this would be the first thing to try. 

Otherwise another green deal assessor may want to redo your EPC, as there are very strict checks on assessors. There is a history of cheap EPCs not being done as thoroughly as they should have been, so green deal assessors tend to be wary of using an EPC that they haven't done themselves.

Click the link to find a green deal assessor or ring the energy saving advice line on 0300 123 1234 and they will be able to help you find one near you.

More information about the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) on YouGen.

Find a renewable energy installer

Related blogs


Government ends the Green Deal

Need help with any Jargon?


If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.

Like this blog? Keep up to date with our free monthly newsletter


2 comments - read them below or add one


RobertPalgraveComment left on: 29 January 2015 at 4:19 pm

I have to say that my Green Deal Assessment had LESS information than the EPC, but cost three times as much!

Even though I was getting the GDA simply to apply for the RHI (for an air source heat pump), the Assessment did not suggest an ASHP to replace my inefficient oil-fired heating system. The only two recommendations were a condensing oil boiler and floor insulation. Hardly promoting renewables!

Note that if you do get a GDA, the estimated heat demand of the house will not necessarily be the same as that given on the EPC. The difference is because the EPC uses 'standard occupancy' and the GDA uses specific occupancy. I think the same applies to hot water demand.

The difference is quite marked - my EPC said 22,500 kWh space heating per year and the GDA (done at the same time) suggested 32,200. The assessor said the difference is because I have the heating on 7x16 (being retired), and this is allowed for in the GDA, but not in the EPC.

My RHI payment is based on the lower EPC figure, ie standard occupancy - as it should be.

I'm not sure if the RHI payments for solar hot water are based on the EPC figure or are standard for any sized house?

(for those concerned about my apparent profligate energy use, I fully intend to use a lot less than 32,000 kWh per year..)



report abuse

Linn Rafferty

Linn Rafferty from JTec Energy PerformanceComment left on: 23 January 2015 at 1:44 pm

I thought I'd add a note of explanation about the link that Cathy has supplied to find a Green Deal Assessor.

The Green Deal administrators don't allow you to search for an individual Green Deal Advisor - the person who will visit your home and carry out the assessment, and prepare the GD report, whose number you have to provide on your RHI application.

So, the search function on that link returns a list of Assessors - the organisation that the Advisor works through - not the Advisor herself.

Unfortunately, there's no way at present to search for an individual Advisor, but you may contact an Assessor organisation such as GDAA,, that can put you in touch with a local, indpendent Advisor.

report abuse

Leave a comment

You must log in to make a comment. If you haven't already registered, please sign up as a company or an individual, then come back and have your say.