Skip to main content
Observer Ethical awards Winners 2011

YouGen Blog

Can I move my solar panels to my new home and keep the Feed-in Tariff?

Posted by Jason Ramsdale on 25 November 2015 at 11:05 am

Q. Can I move my solar panels to my new house and keep my Feed-in Tariff (FiT)?

A.  No. Any PV (Photovoltaic) system under 50 kWp that is transferred to another property would be treated as “second-hand” and would not be eligible for the FiT. When a property is sold PV systems are generally counted as fixtures and are sold along with the associated FiT payments as part of the home

Would you really want to move your PV system anyway?

  • PV systems are generally site specific, tailored to fit the orientation and shape of your roof.
  • Moving the system would require paying for the labour costs to; dismantle your array, repair the roof (where fittings had been), remove the inverter and electrical equipment, safely transfer the equipment and reinstall your system on your new home. While you might save on equipment costs, you would have increased labour charges making moving domestic systems too costly to be worth the hassle.
  • PV systems can be an attractive add-on when selling your home enticing potential buyers.

Note: Businesses and owners of large PV arrays (>50 kWp) [1] can move them and retain the Feed-in Tariff. The government is expected to bring in legislation that will allow solar arrays greater than 50 kWp will be to move locations and still receive FiT payments providing that the site uses at least 10 per cent of the electricity generated. This change is expected to come in later this year and is aimed to make FIT payments more flexible for businesses that are looking to invest in renewables but cannot guaranteed long-term ownership or lease of a site. However, it is expected that transfers will only be allowed four years after the legislation is made.

Photo: Oregon Department of Transportation


[1] DECC

More information about Solar Electricity on YouGen

Find a solar PV installer.

Need help with any Jargon?

If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.

Like this blog? Keep up to date with our free monthly newsletter


3 comments - read them below or add one


marenComment left on: 24 December 2015 at 7:36 pm

I recently installed a solar panel system on my roof and I was told by the supplier that if I moved house, I could take the FIT with me. I questioned that but he insisted. Having read earlier contributions to this topic, I am now totally confused.

report abuse


richmcComment left on: 30 November 2015 at 5:09 pm

Neil, yes you can but you will need a binding contract with the new owner of the property, in effect you will be a "rent a roof" supplier and will be liable for maintanance of the panels and also liable for any damage they may cause to the property. The insurence would probably be more costly than the benifits from the FIT payments.

So in theory yes, in practice difficult.

report abuse


Neil69Comment left on: 30 November 2015 at 4:26 pm

If you move can you take the FIT payments with you and leave the panels 

report abuse

Leave a comment

You must log in to make a comment. If you haven't already registered, please sign up as a company or an individual, then come back and have your say.