It is energy switching time again
Posted by Gabby Mallett on 24 October 2016 at 2:20 pm
As we approach winter, and most of you will already have turned your heating on, I wonder how many of you are thinking about switching. Why would you want to have your most costly months on that stupidly high tariff you are paying because you haven’t bothered to shop around? In the summer it probably didn’t seem worth the effort as you were using so little and didn’t really have time to think about looking for a better deal, but with those big bills likely to hit your doormat over the next few weeks or months it really is time to do something .
You won’t be the only one. This September saw almost 400,000 households switching energy supplier; that’s a 21% increase on the same time last year and it brings the total number of switches so far this year to well over 3 million.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK, the trade association for the UK energy industry said:
“I urge everyone to spend a few minutes to make sure they are on the best deal before winter hits. Join millions of people that have already saved hundreds of pounds so far in 2016. Deals are coming to an end every month so don’t miss out on over 100 deals under £1,000.
“The energy market is more competitive than it has ever been. With over 40 suppliers in the market and with the Energy Switch Guarantee in place customers should reap the benefits.”
There are plenty of online switching sites to choose from, so you just need to work out how much energy you used last year and then you will be able to compare rates. There is also the new Switching Guarantee, which about 70% of the market is now signed up to, this means that switching will be easy and quick and if you have any problems at all your new provider will help to sort them out for you.
- To make the switch more simple, the whole transfer process will be handled by the provider you are switching to
- It guarantees a reliable and hassle-free switch in just twenty-one days
- You can continue using your existing energy provider right up to the point that you switch – so you won’t be without electricity or gas at any point
- Under the Energy Switch Guarantee, in the unlikely event of any problem occurring, you have the reassurance that your new provider will work to resolve any issue swiftly and efficiently
- If you change your mind within 14 days you simply remain with your existing provider
- Any credit from your old energy account will be refunded within 14 days of your final bill
So, don’t leave it until it’s too late. Check your old bills, put your details into a search engine and see how much you could save today.
Image credit: Images Money via Flickr.
If you have a question about anything in the above blog, please ask it in the comments section below.
2 comments - read them below or add one