Solar Thermal system fitted. Over the summer this system only required the immersion heater to be switched on 3 times. 3 persons living in house. In winter maintains the chill off the water to be heated thereby reducing the energy required to heat the water. Controls set-up by the installer match well with our lifestyle.
Air source heat pumps fitted and now heat the house 24/7, with heating water temperature compensate controlled to outside air temperature. This has greatly improved on the comfort of the house over winter. The cost of energy used, compared with LPG, is projected to reduce by about 40-50% on readings taken by an energy monitor. The LPG heating was only timed to be on a certain times.
1. Insulate, insulate and insulate.
2. Be aware of your life style and set controls accordingly
3. Smart control, i.e. temperature compensation
4. Set heating temperature for house as low as is comfortable
5. When renewing/replacing radiators oversize to benefit from more efficient performance of lower heating water temperatures
6. Discuss requirements with your installer
7. Trust your installer, they are likely to have a 'bigger picture' knowledge.